HAMISH HAS LEARNED SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT READING.
HE CAN DO IT WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE BOOK!
EXCEPT HIS TEACHERS AT SCHOOL ARE STARTING TO SAY HE CAN’T READ!
CAN HE? OR CAN’T HE?
* Honour Book in the Australian Children’s Book of the Year Awards for Younger Readers.
* Short-listed in the Young Australian’s Best Book Award.
R: So this Hamish kid is stupid, right?
K: Not at all, Reckless! Hamish is a very clever boy. He’s got a fantastic imagination.
R: But he can’t read.
K: Not that well. When everyone else was learning to read, Hamish was doing other creative things. What about you, Reckless, can you read?
R: Like a scanner!
K: Do you want to take the ‘I Hate Books’ reading challenge?
R: Bring it on!
K: First, read the book. Then answer these multiple choice questions.
The ‘I Hate Books’ Reading Challenge.
1. What is the name of Hamish’s brother?
2. What does the teacher, Miss Margin, have dangling on her earrings?
3. What is the name of the reading room teacher?
…..A. Mr. Bear
…..B. Mr. Beard
…..C. Mr. Robinson
4. Hamish’s parents drive what kind of vehicle?
…..A. A taxi
…..B. A bus
.….C. A truck
5. What does Grandpa give Hamish for his birthday?
…..A. A dog
…..B. A book
.….C. A skateboard
6. Hamish’s friend Angie wins a craft prize for making what?
…..A. A finger puppet
…..B. A string puppet
.….C. A sock puppet
7. At the end of the book does Hamish learn to read?
Click here for: Answers for the I HATE BOOKS challenge.
To Purchase I Hate Books – use Google to find it with your local bookseller.